Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Silver!

Well, I've always wanted to buy Silver. Since around.. a year or so ago. There are many reasons for it, but the biggest one driving me was the fact that our money isn't worth anything. How much is a $100 bill worth? Technically, it's worth however many folds you can give it while wiping your butt. However, it has worth because of.... mutual trust. Oh look at that. A bill is only worth something because people think it's worth something. It's a fancy piece of paper that everyone's agreed to use. It's not backed by gold either. Nope. So if anything happened to that trust... yup. But on the other hand, precious metals have a certain price because of the demand. They're precious. Silver's used in all sorts of industrial tasks. So it will always be worth a certain amount. That price just fluctuates with supply and demand.

So I sort of wanted to buy silver then. (At the time I was really into the whole TEOTWAWKI preparing thing. I still have a bug out bag loaded and ready to go.) But silver kept going up and up and it was a terrible time to buy. Now, silver's fallen back down, and what the heck I may I as well right? So I managed to buy two coins today (oh wow so much!) for $24 each. Which is pretty good given that they're silver eagles. The cheapest, as of now, is $23.79 online. Factor in shipping and such, and I didn't do so badly. I figure I'll buy a few coins whenever I have the cash to do so.

The good thing about buying silver is that, in my opinion, it's not a "waste of money." It's simply moving your money into another form of currency. Now, it may drop, but seeing as silver hasn't gone below $10 in around 4 years, and it kinda has an upwards trend, I figure it's decently safe. And I just plan to "lose" all my money when I buy silver. Just so I don't screw myself if the price tanks. And who knows, maybe the investment will go through. Maybe not. But in the meantime, I'll just keep building up my stash for the reasons mentioned.

So here's what I did today:

No comments:

Post a Comment