Saturday, July 27, 2013

Rockstar?

I'm not really a caffeine junkie or anything, but I love coffee. Not that I over do it. One cup now and then. Sometimes if I'm tired, sometimes if I go to a cafe. Either straight up black (I've never added milk/sugar to my coffee), or a dry cappuccino. Bonus points if you can make a iced dry cappuccino. (Purists would argue that's not a cappuccino, but I love having the warm foam over cold coffee.) Anyways, the point is that I had my first can of Rockstar in a very very long time. I usually just get caffeine from coffee. Energy drinks, IMO, are a decent source of caffeine, but taste unpleasant and I'd much rather just get coffee. (Although energy drinks are probably cheaper.)


So, this morning, I went to see my brother off at the airport. I got 4 hours of sleep in total. And I had six hours of volleyball. And my car broke down. Some anti-freeze tube leaked. So I had to bike to volleyball. Which was around 25 minutes away (5 miles.)

So I hopped on Noleta (my bike), feeling all nice and woozy. You know that feeling when you just wake up, and it's kind of like your mind's still asleep and your eyes aren't really processing anything? Yup. Ladidada... anyways, I passed by a 7-11. I figured... well, six hours of volleyball was gonna suck. So might as well go for an energy drink.

So I went in and looked. I've always got rockstar just because. It was kind of my first can (a few years back, it was between red bull, monster, and rockstar. And I knew I hated the first two from sips I got from friends. So I've always just went with rockstar. Yup. Brand loyalty ftw.) My last can had been the original two years ago before a volleyball game. (Deja Vu?) I was definitely not going to get the original flavor, because that tart flavor definitely was not pleasant. It's like drinking some sort of wake-up medicine.  Skipped zero carb/no sugar as a rule. Recovery... well I didn't need to recover. (I have no idea what all the flavors are supposed to do.) And settled with:
Sorry about the terrible picture. I just walked out, sat down, and poured everything into my spare nalgene. Because biking. But it's the punched guava one. You can see the color in the bottle on the left- a nice reddish-pink. I liked the purple can. 

I just had a few drops of what was left in the can, and biked on. I was kinda of late. Oops, I go on too many tangents huh? Point is, I drank it at around 1:30. I only drank 8oz, since I figured I'd save the rest for later. And it was amazing. The taste... well I actually wanted to drink it. It had a lovely fizzy carbonation with a sweet taste of guava. It doesn't really taste like guava.. but I don't mind the sweet interpretation.  And I went to play. At first: Nope. Nothing. No kick. At around 2:00, the kick came in, and I started to get more energy, and a little bit more excited. (As a rule, caffeine just elevates my happiness and makes me a little giddy. Nothing too crazy. And I generally don't crash.) Not a bad kick. Then, at 4:00ish, I died. It was really sad to see. I kept serving, and I was missing around 25% of my serves. (And that's pretty bad. I usually make over 95%- more if I give an easy lob of a serve.) They weren't even really misses, my hand just wouldn't hit the ball right on, and I didn't really give it the umph. It was pathetic. So I drank the rest.

And that, is where it all worked out. It took another 30ish minutes to kick in for me, but once it did.. I was good to go. I played well, serves were going over, and wasn't tired. The stuffy head feel went away too! And I kept playing, biked home without even slowing down too much. I could feel I was tired, but I could keep going the entire time. And I got home at around 8:30, came in, and started to feel tired. No crash, but just the "I'm tired from too much exercise tired."

So there. Not really an EDC post, but it kind of is. I mean, I did carry it in my nalgene right? Let's hope I don't get addicted to energy drinks. Oh well, they say you can take 400mg a day without any adverse effects... If I suddenly stop posting, then stay away from rockstar. 

No comments:

Post a Comment